1.15.2011

"uh, I think our building is on fire"

Well, first off, thank you to everyone for their sweet messages yesterday!  It makes me feel a little less crazy in this world knowing that I'm not the only one that has times like this (wait, does that make me... normal?!)  My time at the spa was a-maz-ing, it really helped me relax and get rid of the extra tension and stress in my body.  A couple of glasses of wine and some time spent with girlfriends later and I'm feeling much better!  All I needed to top it off was a good nights sleep, which looked to be promising.

That is, until 1:30 a.m....

When we were woken up by Maddie who would not quit barking.  I was half asleep, but J eventually got up because she wouldn't stop. He said he smelled something right away, and we could see the flashing lights through the blinds. He sleepishly stumbled over and opened the blinds to look out, and his reaction? "uhhh, babe, I think our building is on fire.  Theres like 5 fire trucks, police cars and ambulances outside and all the firemen are looking up at our building." WTF?!


the lovely circus outside of our building

So, I jump out of bed... He was going to go check it out and turned on the light. I could immediately see all the smoke in the air (of OUR apartment!) and then I was really freaking out.  WHY aren't the firemen getting us out?  WHY hasn't anyone come knock on our door?  WHY is there no fire alarm going off?  ARE we going to have to go to a hotel?  WHAT is going to happen to all our stuff?!  WHY are they just standing there looking up at us, freakin pull your ladder out come rescue us already!  WTF!  As I'm having my mini freak-out, J peeks out to the hallway... and one of the neighbors was doing the same. "I think the building is on fire, better get outside" was their conclusion (gee, ya think?... men!) so I'm grabbing wallet, keys, passports, MADDIE, I even stuffed some stuff in a bag cause if we couldn't get back in that night there was no chance in hell I was walking around anywhere in my pink penguin jammies and no makeup today.  (A lovely habit I've always possesed, like when I was little and I would quickly pack up all of my most important belongings [dolls and hockey trophys] and bring them to the basement in a tornado warning)
We bundled up and headed down the stairs.  We saw a fireman on the way and tried to ask him what was going on and if we needed to go outside. Guy didn't speak English. Figures. You'd think a firefighter in a big city would at least understand the word "OUT!?"

So... we leave, find out that there was a fire in one of the apartments on the first floor (in the door and to the left, thank goodness we're up one floor and to the right or we probably would have gotten a lot more smoke in our place!) The fire was out but we had to wait for the smoke to clear out. (now is when I was feeling like an idiot for carrying around my bag of goodies.... ha!)

We finally got to go back in, most of the smoke was gone but it still SMELLS, even this morning. I was convinced I was going to suffer from smoke inhalation (dramatic? haha) and thought we needed to go to the nearest hotel.  All J wanted to do at that point was go back to bed, he had practice in 7 hours.

So now I'm sitting here with our windows open (it's -16 out, yipee) and the stove fan on, hoping to clear the rest of the nasty smell out :(   I looked the story up online to read about it since there were several reporters out last night.  They think the cause was electrical, still invesigating.  The people obviously got out but they had 2 cats that both died.  I'm no cat lover, but that alone could make me cry.  I'm the one that cries freaking bawls every time that Sara Evans ASPCA commercial comes on. RIP, kitties :(


Freaks me out a little that there are clearly no fire alarms in the building.  Is that even legal?  Surely wouldn't be in the U.S.!  Good thing we have such a good guard dog with her keen ears and nose!!  Extra treats for her today.

Maybe I can make another attempt at a good nights sleep tonight...

10 comments:

  1. OMG such drama!!! Fires are really scary and I come across it really often in my job..(im a policeofficer)and the toxic air makes you pass out really fast so lots treats for your Fire-alarm Doggy today!!
    There should be a smokedetector inside your apartment? If not make them fix it for you cause thats a real lifesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of our apartments last year in WV had a smoke detector (realized that when I started a fire cooking rice, yep! and then asked around - nope, not one of us) and we don't have one here in Germany either. Good thing you guys are okay, I wonder if Brutes would wake us up or keep sleeping - I'd go with the later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am glad that ya'll and everyone else in the building was ok. How scary. I say you invest in a smoke alarm and CO2 alarm right away. Good luck getting the smoke smell out of everything. I am sure there might be multiple loads of laundry in your future. Again, glad it wasn't worse than what it was!!
    And that is pretty funny about the things you would pack for a tornado. Its everything to a little girl. I used to pretend run away (why? I dunno, cause I'm weird. Its not like I didn't have the perfect childhood, haha), and I think my bags had the same thing pack in them

    ReplyDelete
  4. After searching the apartment this morning, I have found a smoke detector (battery-less, of course) in a drawer with a bunch of random stuff. Good place for it, huh? ahh! We'll be installing that baby TODAY.

    Yikes, I thought they all had to at home. Must differ state by state. Any buildings we have lived in in WI and MA all had building-wide fire alarms aside from the individual smoke detectors. I'll have to remember to pay close attention from now on! This is obviously a much older building, and technically owned "condos" rather than rented apartments, maybe that is the difference maker? Who knows.

    I'm sure Brutus would come to your rescue :) it was a reminder to us just how great dogs are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh!!! i'm so glad you guys are safe and sound.... i've looked around here for fire alarms too.. but i think there is one.. it just doesn't look like the normal fire alarm that we have back home. I think they are probably mandatory here too. Sweden is very on top of their game when it comes to those things... but of course the one we had in russia last year went off even when i made toast... I would have done the same thing and gathered up important items :) esp if there was a thought you may not be back in til the next day too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha Texa- I remember "running away" also. To like, the neighbors yard... or, if I was especially mad, maybe even the park down the street! >:O I think most of the time I got scared before anyone even noticed I was gone. Funny how different life is in the eyes of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My God...talk about a sour ending to the perfect night. But at least everyone was safe, for the most part

    ReplyDelete
  8. No fire alarms in Italy ... or Germany. Well, in the cities we were in anyway! Totally freaked me out because we have a little guy to care for. I made my mom send carbon monoxide detectors from home! Just had to use a converter. Glad you guys are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't blame ya! That was one of the things I thought of... what if we had a child in here? I think the way the fire fighters were so lackadaisical about it is what freaked me out the most!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's crazy about your building, I'm glad you guys are safe. Smoke alarms will be the first thing I look for when we get into our new apt in Europe this week.

    ReplyDelete