1.03.2011

it's official...

We're going to be in Finland for 2 more seasons!  It's been in the works for a little while, but J just signed his extension through the 2012-2013 season today.  I'm excited I can finally tell our family and friends now :) 

guess I better finally crack open my Finnish book and start studying!

It's really nice (and kind of crazy...) to know exactly where we'll be for the next 2 1/2 years.  That sounds silly to anyone outside of the hockey world... but in professional hockey, that's quite a long time.  Just like the rest of the job market, hockey jobs have become increasingly hard to come by in recent years.  We know many people who are playing in leagues lower than they should be just because there is nothing available.  Or who aren't playing at all this year.  There are just a lot of good hockey players out there. 

Now that's 2 more years we don't have to compete with all of the other talented players for a job.  Many players in North America don't know where they'll be playing that season until well into September & October.  They bounce around from NHL camps to AHL camps and go back and fourth until they (maybe) win a spot on a team.  And how many spend their time split between leagues, living out of suitcases in hotels?  I cannot tell you how fortunate we are feeling right now.  And how proud I am of my husband.  He works extremely hard, and has earned everything he has been given.  So, since I know he is going to read this and is sure to be embarassed about my "proud hockey wife" rant... I'll stop now. :)

Other than that, not a whole lot new around these parts.  We've been so busy lately, or at least it feels like it.  It seems like we always have somewhere we have to go in the afternoon when J gets home from practice.  The team has 3 games a week in the coming weeks also, so that will really add to the busyness of our lives.  Guess it's better than being bored all the time, right?

For New Years Eve, we went to one of the other guys and his wife's house for a small get-together.  There was lots of good food, wine, champagne, and company!  We had a great time.  There was also some action outside- some neighbor kids were outside setting off fireworks for a good part of the night (fireworks are a big tradtion on NYE here).  These ones were a little big for kids to be setting off (can you say illegal in the U.S.?) but they appeared to be having fun and we were enjoying watching them.  That is, until they hit the HOUSE next door and set it on FIRE!  Luckily, there was no one inside(!!) and no one living there at the present time, and we were a good 75 yards away from it.  I have never seen a house fire that close up.  It was blazing for a good couple hours as the firemen were trying to put it out.  Actually, when we left it was still going.

  poor house! thank GOD no one was in it!!


On New Years Day, we stayed up until 3 am to watch the Rose Bowl (it started at midnight our time!)  Too bad our Badgers lost :( 

Hope you all are having a fabulous start to 2011.  I've been trying to come up with some New Years Resolutions, but I am stumped this year.  I really can't come up with anything that is worth "resolving", or anything that I know I will actually stick to.  Maybe I'll come up with something in the next few days.  What are your New Years Resolutions? 

13 comments:

  1. Congrats to "your" contract!!! Its a great feeling to know where you gonna be for the next couple of years:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, congrats on the extension!! Its nice to know that you'll be styaing put and can start making plans. And I'm not a fan of New Years resolutions either. They tend to be a bust on my end...though I have seen a few that deal with spending more time in the kitchen cooking and saving...I could work on those:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! Definitely a weight off the shoulders. Time to relax and just have fun with it all! :)

    I like that spending more time in the kitchen and saving... we always end up going out to lunch because neither one of us wants to make it. Maybe I'll have to make mine something about having lunch at home more often! I'm sure it'd save a lot of money too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on your contract extension, it must so nice to know where you are going to be for the next few years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yayy!!! congrats!! :) such a great feeling to know you'll be there for the next couple years!!! You will definitely have to start planning some europe traveling. I mean... while you're here... :) It's cheaper than coming from the states!! Have a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great feeling in the hockey world, knowing where you will be for longer than a year! :) Congrats to ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you all :)

    Laura, that's exactly our plan :) We can't wait! We're going to go on a trip at the end of this season before we head home, and I'm sure now we'll do that at least a couple more times in the next few years. Any suggestions of where to go? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to congratulate you two! Your news is so exciting! This has been a rough year for so many talented hockey players - what a relief to know where you'll be and that your husband has a place to play for an extended period of time! And just think of all the money you'll save by not having to ship everything home in the off-seasons! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks HW! Yes, we feel very fortunate! We have seen so many people's struggles this year... hopefully that means it can only get better next year, right?! And yes, it's good and bad for my shopping- before my excuse was always "I don't have room to bring it home", but now if it gets left here AND gets 3 years of use it's a lot easier to justify purchases... Sometimes good (household items/decorations) sometimes bad (clothes!) haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moi moi !
    Just dropped by to say that I really like your blogg.
    And congratulation to the new contract I know how stressful the waiting can be , for the moment I'm just waiting for the next season contract to be done ,so I know where we are suppose to live :)
    Take care / Jessica in Khl / Russia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moi Jessica :) Thank you! Good luck to you guys with your contract stuff too, always a stressful time, but such a relief when it's all done :) How do you like Russia?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We went to Dubai last year.. and that was an amazing experience.... Thailand is a big place to go... and I visited a friend in Greece last Feb, which was really awesome too... Summertime would be even better.. especially to the islands.. :) There's always Stockholm too! since you're only an hour flight away! It's a BEAUTIFUL city!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to put those on our list of places to look into and hopefully visit! :) One of the girlfriends here's family is living in Thailand and she has so many good things to say about it. And Stockholm is definitely on our list! It's too bad for the sea... its so close, yet so "far"!

    ReplyDelete