3.10.2011

the last game of the season... already??

Holy moly, I can't believe how time flies.  I've been here for over 6 months, and J has been here for 7 1/2 (and no, we still can't speak the language...)  Tonight marks the last game of the regular season, and it's a big one.  I mentioned briefly the other day about where the team stands and briefly explained how the playoffs work.  They won on Tuesday night, but so did the 7th place team... keeping J's team in 6th place by only two points.  So... if we win tonight, we're automatically in the playoffs.  If the 7th place team loses tonight, we're also automatically in the playoffs.  But, if we lose and they win, we'll end up out of the top 6 and have to play in the playoff qualifying round (starting Saturday, I believe).  Fingers crossed that they can just pull off the win (it will be a challenge... they're playing the top team in the league) and there is a nice little break between tonight and playoff time. 

This is when hockey gets really exciting.  When the games really mean something. My old coaches would kill me for saying that, because "every game means something", but you can't disagree.  I used to find myself getting caught up in the excitement of close games, but this year more than ever, I've found myself in the simple, boring routine of going to the game, watching, cheering for a goal, shrugging off a loss, and asking "What's for dinner?" before we even leave the rink.  Not sure if it has something to do with the language barrier, or if I'm just finally being desensitized to the emotions of the game after 24 years.  But today... I'm excited.  And nervous, too.  I love when fate lies in the hands of one single game.  That's when it's really interesting to me.  I know the outcome of this game won't have a huge impact on our life, no matter what it is... but hey, who doesn't like to win? :)

Better go take my pregame nap, tonight I may need all of my energy tonight.... ;)

Go Jokers!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck to him and their team!!!! :) hoping for a win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our team made it into semifinals on Tuesday and now we have to wait until all the quaterfinals are done before we know who are we gonna play next. Thats also kinda exciting, I am always nervous when something like this happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura! :)

    Susanne- ohhh yes, the dreaded waiting to find out who you play. Hope it goes in your favor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck J!! Have fun at the game tonight CMD...I've got my fingers crossed for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crossing fingers it all goes the way you want it to--my husband is a HUGE hockey fan and totally loves the NHL playoffs. What an adventure to be over there! Best of luck! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies! They did it! :) Now they have a week "break" until playoffs start friday. So much better than playing this weekend&Tuesday!

    {av} - thanks for stopping by! yes, it is quite the adventure :) Definitely cherishing every moment!

    ReplyDelete