3.05.2011

new camera... woo hoo!

We've been in need of a new camera around here for a while now.  The plan was to wait until we got home for the summer since everything is much cheaper there than it is in Finland.  But... we caved and got one here.  Between some frustrating camera experiences lately (the Winter Classic, Stockholm trip... among others) and the fact that not getting it until we got home meant that we wouldn't have a good camera to use for our EuroTrip, we decided that it was worth the little bit extra that we'd spend on it here.  Plus we know it will be a great investment for the future, with all of the traveling we will be doing and for when we have children :)

We had a fairly good idea of what we wanted (a Nikon) and have several friends who have various cameras in the Nikon SLR series... so we price shopped around a couple places and bought one the same day.  The same place that had it on sale also had it with the dual-lens set, which is almost always cheaper than buying the 2nd lens separate.  The biggest challenge was asking questions about it- most sales people do speak English, some better than others... but aren't always ready and willing to explain the whole camera and it's features to us (understandable... I don't exactly have my Finnish camera terms down either!)  But, we got really lucky, and the guy we asked to help us was from the UK.  SCORE!  We picked his brain for a while and ended up taking home the Nikon D3100.  The manual, on the other hand... is in Finnish.  Thank goodness for the PDF file on the website (what would we do without technology these days... seriously?!)

After taking many pointless pictures around the apartment, of the dog, the half dead flowers on the table.... I decided to take it to the game Thursday night to give 'er a try and test my skills.  I can't tell you how much fun I had taking all of the pictures and editing them on the computer.  Looks like I may have found another new hobby!! :)

Here are some of the pictures I took.  I'm pretty proud of how my first sets came out considering I barely knew how to turn the thing on 5 days ago! ;)



Helsinki Cathedral


Senate Square in Helsinki


A row of colorful apartments on a street in Helsinki


View of the sun setting over the Baltic Sea
along the Helsinki coastline


Our precious pooch, Maddie


The hubs at work


Who knew I was a sports photographer?


Lots of cool action shots


#2 in your program, #1 in my heart <3


12 comments:

  1. you are such a talented photographer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susanne! GuessI found a new little niche I never knew about.. :) It's amazing what a good camera and a little editing can do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it takes great pictures!!! :) It's soo nice to have a good camera! - will be great for your trip too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a new camera :( We're ready to upgrade from the point and shoot over here!! Your pics came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura- Thanks! yes, sooo nice! my old one was just getting too frustrating... only like 1 in every 3 pictures would turn out :( It was definitely time to upgrade with the big boys :)

    KY- You guys should get one, You won't regret it! It's a great investment, especially with all of the traveling us ladies do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all I'm jealous!! I've been wanting a Nixon SLR for quite some time. Secondly talk about a walking billboard on those uniforms!! I know they have advertising but come on!! Great site! I plan on following your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics!!!! I want to have a new camera as well but after breaking two in a short period of time..through clumsyness that why my husband is not keen on buying any expensive camera at all..lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ross- thanks for stopping by! Yeah, the teams in Europe rely heavily on the income recieved from the advertisements. I agree, it looks a little silly... but like we say, "the ads pay the bills!" :)

    Mrs K- Thanks :) Yeah, I'm pretty sure part of the reason my old camera wasn't working so well was from being dropped a time or two... oops! That and it is just a basic point and shoot that they basically make disposable these days anyways! Having a nicer one definitely makes me a lot more careful with it... and rest assured it will never be anywhere that alcohol is involved! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic photos!!!

    great blog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics CMD! Finding a new hobby is always fun :o) And those random "pointless" pictures are the most fun to try and create something cool...i've got a million of those haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Nikon P90 but it's not doing the trick anymore. I want to be able to use different lenses, etc. Your pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks ladies! Yea, the lenses are kind of a pain to haul around, but soooo worth it. It's such a versatile camera!

    ReplyDelete