12.15.2010

top 10 things i miss most about home

Unfortunately, we don't get to go back to the U.S. for Christmas (the guys don't have enough time off) and it will be our first Christmas that we don't spend with our families.  I've been a little sad about it, but I've come to terms with the fact that this is our lives now and pouting about it isn't going to change anything.  We just have to make the most of what we're given to work with, and we plan to do just that.  It's time to start some of our own holiday traditions :)

Christmas "break" marks the halfway point through the season here in Finland.  Time flies!  Since the holiday season has been making me think more about home lately, I thought I'd dedicate my post to the things that I miss most about home. 



1) Obviously, the thing that I miss most about home is our family and friends.  Nothing else on this list means as much as them.  We are so lucky to have such wonderful loved ones who support us in everything that we do.  As many other hockey wives know, it's not easy to keep good friends when we move around so much.  Quality far outweights quantity.  Luckily for me, I've got a few quality good friends that understand our crazy lives :)

2) My Blackberry.  The phone I have here right now is brand new, but I'm pretty sure it's the same model I was using in 2002.  Anyone remember T9 texting?  Yup, that's what I have to use!  It's almost comical.  Aside from the visual embarassment and functional difficulties, No Blackberry = no BBM and internet to connect with my family and friends easier :(  It is so weird to not be able to pick up my phone and BBM/text someone whenever I think of something or feel like talking to someone.   Why don't I just get a Blackberry here, you ask?  Well, Finland has decided to make as difficult as possible for me seeing as they don't sell them anywhere here!  Nowhere! not in the entire country.  Ugh!  Although, I'm hoping Santa will find a way to bring me a new one this year...


3) A Clothes Dryer.  Seems sooo simple... yet... not.  Not only am I sick of air drying all of my clothes (hello, they get super stiff!)  but it's annoying that you can't do more than one load of laundry per day (no where to put it!) and our apartment isn't the biggest in the first place- much less having the drying rack taking up space.  And, sometimes you just don't want the drying rack sitting out.  Um... I don't really care to have my undies sitting out to dry when we have company over, thanks!


4) Target.  Do I really need to explain this one?  I am the Target queen!  If I could only shop at one store for the rest of my life, I would choose Target.  I don't think I've ever stepped foot in the store and not come out with anything. 


5)  Nordstrom/Macy's.  My 2 favorite department stores.  Stockmann department store here definitely rivals them (and in many areas wins!)  but I have small feet, and I know I can always find shoes at Nordstrom and not having to worry about seeing a 10 year old wearing the same pair.  They are one of the few places that carry size 4 and 5 (and more than just 1 pair!) and if they don't have them in, they order them and have them sent to my door for free.  Both of these stores have a lot of the brands and designers that I love, and for fractions of the prices they are here.


6) Culver's.  Ohhh, Cuvler's.  I hate to love you, but I do.  We try to eat very healthy, but Culver's is one guilty pleasure that I will give into.  I am in love with their chili cheese fries.  Top it off with a dish of custard for dessert and you will be my best friend forever.


7) My car.  Well, technically it's not even my car anymore.. my parents bought it in the first place so my mom repo-ed it when we moved across the pond :)  But, I miss my Altima!  And driving at all for that matter.  I'm afraid I won't know how to drive when we get back!  It's been 3 1/2 months since I've driven at all.  And that doesn't look like it'll be changing anytime soon...


8) A bath tub. (and Bath and Body Works goodies to go with it) Another one of those "so simple, yet so hard" things.  I can't count how many times I've been dying to take a nice warm bubble bath after coming in from out in the freezing cold.  Not only that, but I actually have the time on my hands to sit and take a relaxing bath for once.  Yet we're stuck with only a shower.  Go figure :( 


9) American TV shows.  Sure, we get them here... if you like watching My Super Sweet 16 season 1 on repeat all weekend.  The shows that are on tv here are always a season behind, and they are seriously lacking in variety.  J lucks out most from this one- all of his hockey channels seem to come in just fine!  Weird how that works ;).  The biggest bummer is not even being able to watch shows online (legally, at least)  because they are "blocked" over here.  It just makes it that much more difficult to try and watch... needless to say I don't do a whole lot of tv watching here.  My apologies to HGTV, TLC, and E! ... your ratings are probably down.  I'll be back in the Spring, promise! :)


10) A familiar grocery store/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods.  Oh, how I miss being able to maneuver the aisles and actually know what I'm getting.  I'm getting better and better here, but almost always before I try a new recipe I have to get advice from my good old buddy Google Translate before I hit the store.  Several times I have bought things thinking they were one thing only to find out they were something completely different.  Not to mention trying to find natural/organic products poses great difficulty also.  I think we do okay, but I can't wait to get back and get my hands on some of the stuff that we aren't able to buy here.  Not to mention all those cute names they have for things at TJ's!



I'm sure I could go on and on as I thought of more things... but I'm curious to know what you think.  What would you miss the most if you were away from home for a good portion of the year?  Hockey wives, what can you not wait to get your hands on in the offseason?  It's amazing to realize how much you take for granted once you step back and think about it... :)

8 comments:

  1. I drive an Altima and love it, so I can understand missing it. I always say I think it'd be fun to live in a city where I used public transit on a regular basis, but I really think I'd miss driving too.

    I lived in an apartment for two years that had only a shower and hated it. However, I was lucky enough that it was a big shower (about twice as long as a regular square shower - shaped like a tub but no tub walls) - I had a step stool in there to rest my legs on while shaving so every once in a while I would just sit in there under the hot water for a while - not as good as a bath, but sometimes it could be relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, Whole Foods salad bar..I miss the tuna & cranberry salad sooooo much! Maybe I will find a recipe for it ;)

    Everything we really miss besides our family is restaurant/food related (go figure, haha). TJ and I already have our coming home breakfast lunch and dinner planned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren- not a bad idea! unfortunately our shower barely has enough room to turn around in :( I can stretch my arms and touch wall to wall in our entire bathroom! It's so tiny.

    KY- Looking up recipes has become a great hobby of mine. My theory- If you can't find it, make your own! :) We plan out our meals when we go home like that too! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad i found your blog! We're living in Sweden for my fiance's hockey! -- but first off.. I STILL USE MY BB!!! and BBM and everything! I have my phone from home too. (the U.S.) I have verizon and changed my plan to "sweden".. i only use it for BBM, google chat, email, internet, and what not. I don't use it for calls or txting because that's where I get charged... but otherwise, it's just the monthly plan amount and it's a LIFESAVER!!! I'd look into it :) I have a list like this on my page of the things i miss too.. Where in Finland are you? and have you been to stockholm to site-see yet? You definitely should go- it's amazing. Looking forward to following your blog!!

    xo
    Laura
    http://whereisthelolo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh.. and we miss whole foods BADLY!!!! :( FAV STORE EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Laura! I tried to do that with mine... but wtih AT&T it was like $200/month for international data- no thanks! haha. Might have to look into the Verizon... thanks for the idea! Do you know what the plan you have for it through Verizon is called? Phone/texting/data is SUPER cheap here in Finland... but they just don't sell Blackberries (I think because Nokia is from here, and BB would be a big competitor for a lot of their phones). I'm just surprised I've gone this long without it :)

    We are in Helsinki- haven't been to Stockholm yet.. my girlfriend actually just went over this weekend but I couldn't make it. I want to get there soon though! Looking forward to following your blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh... eek... the plan is $100 and it's the lowest about of minutes possible because i don't use them.. And its just "sweden calling" international plan. (incase I need to make a phone call or text) But, allows you to use the phone ANYWHERE in Europe/Russia.. etc. It's a set amount for unlimited use. The only reason I've been charged more is if I text or make a phone call. You should definitely look into it. I don't see tons of blackberries here in Sweden either.. mainly iphones or samsung.

    also! with the american tv shows.. have you looked into slingbox?? we have it hooked up to my parents tv cable box at home.. and can watch ALL of their tv on our computers for free :) So... Today show, Food Networks.. etc. And their DVR.. OBSESSED. It's a life saver too! e-mail me and i can give u more info if you want :) maybe for next year or something if you're over there again!

    schneiky16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. we looked into the slingbox... didn't end up doing it cause I thought I wouldn't miss my shows that much. WRONG! haha. maybe next year... :)

    ReplyDelete