6.22.2011

stop saying "I wish", start saying "I will", part 2

[It was brought to my attention yesterday (by my sweet husband) that I had not written a new post in several days.  He said he was "feeling down" and "needed some inspiration" (he's just a bit dramatic...) and there was nothing new for him to read and be inspired by.  Obviously he was yanking my chain a bit, but he was also right- sorry for abandoning my blog for a few days!]

Aside from my bad habits I fell into from time to time when life threw curveballs that I mentioned in my last post, I'm usually (90% of the time) an obsessive healthy eater.  Especially since we've started trying to have a baby.  I educated myself a lot before we began trying.  I knew that certain foods increase or decrease fertility, some can't or shouldn't be eaten during pregnancy, and that the prenatal vitamin is only supplementing the viatmins and minerals you are already getting from your food.  Going off my previous knowledge, I read a lot (and googled a lot) to adjust my diet accordingly, which wasn't too difficult since we were already eating fairly healthy, with the exception of a soda or some ice cream here and there (as in, a once or twice a week treat here and there).  Aside from trying to keep up with my hubby's hot bod, attempting to have a baby is the perfect motivation for me to continue a healthy lifestyle.

Anyways, here are my tips for eating and staying healthy, pregnant or not.  Hopefully you can take something from them to help you with your healthy living goals as well:

-Adjust calorie intake according to your body and the activities you do.  I don't understand why they generalize everyones diet into a 2,000 calorie diet when body sizes, metabolism, daily activities and other factors make such a huge difference in how many calories you should take in for a day.  Here's a good way to calculate how many calories you should be eating, offered by Shape magazine (and remember, being pregnant doesn't mean eating for TWO! You only need about 300 extra calories per day):

If you are age 30 or under, multiply your weight by 6.7 and add 487; women who are 31-60  should multiply their weight by 4 and add 829. Then, multiply the total by 1.3 if you're sedentary (don't work out at all), 1.5 if you're slightly active (work out three to four times a week for one hour), 1.6 if you're moderately active (work out four to five times a week for one hour) or 1.9 if you're very active (work out almost every day for one hour). 

-Cut out foods that don't have much or anything to offer.  Like white bread and soda.  You want to make every calorie count, so don't fill up your daily allowance with foods that aren't nutrient rich.  They'll leave you less satisfied and more hungry, also... so you'll end up eating twice as much.

-Diet/Light/Low Fat, etc. isn't always better!  Almost all of the time when fat and calories are taken out of foods to make them 'diet' or 'light' or 'sugar free', something else is being put into foods to replace them.  Often times this comes in the form of more sodium or sugar, both of which can be very detrumental to your health if you're getting too much.  And that Diet soda that is so appealing with it's 0 calories and 0 sugar?  Guess what, it's still soda.  The artificial sweeteners and caffiene aren't good for anyone for many reasons, especially pregnant women.

-Some fat is necessary in your diet.  Some fats help absorb vitamins and minerals, and others, like Omega-3's, have a wide array of benefits- like heart health, cell growth/repair & improved brain function (to name a few)

-Eat fresh foods in their most natural state.  They say shop the outsides of the grocery store and stay clear of the middle.  That's because most of the middle aisles are filled with processed foods.  When foods are processed, many times minerals and nutrients are lost... along with A LOT of other things being added in.  Stick to fresh fruits and veggies (buy organic when possible, especially 'thin-skinned' fruits and veggies that absorb more pesticides) and meat and poultry that has been raised all natural, without antibiotics and growth hormones.  This is a big one for us.... not only is it inhumane and sickening how almost all of the chicken, beef, etc. is raised and produced in our country (read Food Inc if you don't believe me)... but if you have tasted the 'good stuff' that has been raised properly and naturally, you'll know why it's worth a few extra bucks.  You'll never go back to eating the 'other stuff' again!

-Eat at home.  We eat out maybe 2 times a month, tops.  Seriously.  Obviously it's much easier and quicker to go out to eat or order a pizza, but we are both extremely turned off by the amount of calories, fat, sodium, carbs, etc. etc. found in foods prepared in restaurants.  The supposed "healthy" foods on the menu are still always cooked using unhealthy oils and Lord knows what else.  If we're the ones making the food (usually from scratch), we know exactly what is going into our bodies and how it is being cooked.

-Take a daily multivitamin.  In case you fall short in a certain vitamin or mineral category for the day, a multivitamin will help ensure that you are still getting sufficient amounts necessary each day.

-Exercise!!  Take the dog for a walk.  Ride your bike to do an errand.  Take a detour to the gym after work.  Anything that gets you up and off the couch, really.  Eating healthy only takes you so far, you must combine it with exercise in order to keep your body in it's best, healthiest working order.  Plus, you'll have more energy and be a happier person, too!

-Moderation.  Don't give up your favorite treats entirely.  Allow yourself to have a cupcake or a can of Pepsi now and then.  It will keep your cravings in check, and prevent you from going on an all-day binge at some point.  Plus, life is supposed to be fun... isn't it?!  What fun is it if we can't indulge in a special treat now and then?!  Just remember, moderation is the key.  Allow yourself 1-3 "treats" per week :)


I hope my tips will inspire you to adjust your lifestyle accordingly as well.  There are many little changes that can make a big difference, and once you get into the routine, it's fairly easy to stick to.  My problem was that when I lost control of things in my life (like losing my babies), I let myself lose control of everything else as well.  Not to mention there were lots of restrictions on exercise and activity that kept me from doing a lot of things I normally do.  It's okay to go through these rough patches, just make sure you set a time frame for yourself and get back with the program sooner rather than later.  Your body will thank you! :)


Do you have a healthy living tip you'd like to share?  What helps motivate you to say "I WILL" instead of "I WISH"?


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. There's so much truth there. I'm having trouble gathering enough motivation to put these tricks into practice. I've "done the Oprah" (get fat, lose weight, get fat) so many times, that I find it really hard to get going again and to have the confidence that I'll be able to keep - and stay - on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower. I think I'm going to like it here :) Found you from FTLOB. ~Crissa
    www.bellabud.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh,oh. Now I feel guilty about those glazed doughnut holes I ate this morning with my coffee. Ha! . . . visiting via FTLOB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by ladies!

    NC Sue- the motivation is definitely the hardest part! Especially in our culture, it is SO easy to get off the track... it's extremely difficult. Wishing you lots of luck, confidence and motivation! :)

    Barb- haha! glazed doughnut holes... yummmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete