5.23.2011

... and I'm back in the game!

Phew... the end of the world indeed did not come and we all seem to have made it past the weekend.  How many times are they going to claim it's "the end of the world" anyways?  I'm not sure if I feel bad for the people who cashed in their life savings because they thought the end was really here, or if it's just good for a laugh.  I can't be that cruel- so maybe a little of both.

And since the world is still spinning round, I decided it's time to get back in shape.  For those of you who don't know, I love working out/exercising and, in particular, running.  With everything that's been going on with my body, working out- or at least working out hard enough to sweat- has pretty much been a no-go for the past several months, which has been very hard for me.  Since my body is now recovered from surgery, it's time to get my butt in gear (especially since I let myself 'eat my feelings' for a good week or two after- oops)!

So, the hubs joined me for my "first run back" today.  It wasn't the prettiest sight in the world but I finished the full 5k and didn't die.  I joked with J that it was a good thing I wasn't wearing his heart rate monitor because it probably would have been beeping and flashing "CALL 911" most of the time. 

Off-the-charts heart rate aside, I have to say, it felt great.  Part of the reason I love running so much is because of how it makes me feel after.  First, the tiredness and achiness lets me know that I've done my body good.  But it's also the sense of accomplishment that you feel- I just love it.


Post- Quarter Marathon 2010, where I took 4th place! :)
 
check out this beauty the hubs captured last year... bahaha


So, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is coming up in our hometown (less than 2 weeks away!) and I've decided to run the 5k.  My mother is a breast cancer survivor, and every year since she was diagnosed (just over 5 years now) a group of family and friends has gotten together to either walk or run in it.  When I was pregnant, the plan was to walk the 1.25 mile course for this year.  Now that plans have changed, I decided that I'd really like to run the 5k.  It will be a great motivator to help me get back in shape without over-exerting myself, and, even better, it will be a great sense of achievement.  I've felt like my body has failed me a lot in the past several months, and even though 5k isn't usually that big of a deal to me, conquering this goal and proving to my body that I am in control of it will be a wonderful mental boost. 

Ahhh, it feels great to be back in the game :)


 If you'd like to make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Foundation and support me on my run, I you can do so through my race website here

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Great!! Then it makes two of us:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Finishing a run like that is such an accomplishment! I miss being able to run, however there will be a day that I run again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running helps me sort out my head too! glad you got the trainers back on! (Found you through FTLOB :))

    ReplyDelete