3.24.2011

packing for a season in europe... dun dun dun

As I'm sure many of you remember, a while back I wrote a post about How To Move to Europe With Your Dog.  I got a lot of positive feedback about it, and I'm so happy that I could pass the info on to those needing it- hopefully it can help some more of you along the way, too!  In that same post, I also promised I'd write a post about packing, what to bring, etc. and I'm finally getting around to posting it.  Hopefully it will come in handy for any of you hockey ladies heading over to Europe next season, or at least make you a little less clueless (like I was) about the whole process.  [Though, it's definitely not just for hockey ladies.... Students, travelers... anyone moving to Europe for a several month period of time will probably find this information useful as well :)] 

When I came to Finland this year, I checked 4 bags and brought one carry on.  Since I was traveling separately from my husband, some of the stuff in these bags was his, but I'll admit... most was mine.  I think I did pretty good though... I use pretty much everything I brought and don't think I've really ever thought of anything that I left at home that I wish I had here with me (guess that means it's time to get rid of some of that stuff sitting in my parent's basement!) 

I think the general consensus is that hockey bags are the easiest to use for your move to Europe.  They're lightweight (well, at least before you add the clothes, shoes, makeup, etc) and you can fit a lot of stuff in them.  You just have to be very careful to keep them within size and *weight* restrictions.  Don't just go buy the biggest ones you can find.  And most people would agree, the ones with wheels make life much easier! (your significant other will probably give you crap for wanting a hockey bag with wheels.  If he does, politely remind him how much work you do for him, and that you'll probably be making a move with these bags on your own at least once.  I don't know about you, but I'm NOT carrying 4+ bags through an airport, up and down apartment stairs, etc. by myself).  As far as how many bags, that's up to you and how much stuff you feel you need or want.  Remember, when you head back home at the end of the season, you'll definitely be coming back with more stuff than you came with (ie: my husband got four winter jackets from the team this year.  FOUR!!  That's like, 3/4 of a suitcase right there!)  And if you're like us and spending multiple seasons over here.... well, let's just say I don't even want to know how much stuff we're going to have by the end of our time here.  But, it is nice to be able to buy some stuff to make our place a little more "home-y" and know that it will get more than a few months use out of it.  We'll probably end up either donating a lot of it or passing some of it on to other teammates or friends over here.
(TIP: If you're so lucky to have visitors at some point, send some stuff home with them!)

So... getting down to the biggest question.  What to pack?  Let's break it down into these categoriesClothing, Accessories, Shoes, Health & Beauty & Misc. Goodies.

CLOTHING:
*Jeans - wear 'em almost every day
*Leggings - a close 2nd to jeans, especially when comfort is my priority!
*Dress Pants - I brought a pair or two of nicer dress pants for anything I would need to dress up for.  They have come in handy once.
*Sweaters - pretty much my daily go-to.  It's freeezing in Finland, so lots of layers is the key!
*Tee's - long sleeve, short sleeve... anything I can layer with the sweaters!
*Blouses - a no brainer
*A nice dress or two.  We had to dress up a few times this year for team events (Christmas party, etc.) or just going out with friends.  This is where the LBD comes in handy... so versatile! 
*Socks, Undies, etc. - I probably have 2 weeks worth... maybe a little bit more of socks.  They're fairly easy to squish in between things (or put in shoes) when packing your bags!
*Workout clothes - I have probably 5 or 6 different "outfits" and just mix & match them.
*Pajamas & lounge clothes - I brought a few sets of each
*Jackets & Coats:  I have lived in my black North Face Metropolis parka this winter.  Also have my long pea coat and several other jackets & coats - Finland is COLD so I didn't want to be lacking in the coat department!

I guess the general idea is to pack stuff that is logical.  The other ladies (here in Finland at least) do not get all dolled up to go to the games like many back in North America do.  You can if you want, but you might get some funny looks.  I also know that many arenas in countries like Germany, France, etc. aren't fully closed in, making for a rather cold environment in December and January!  Plan accordingly.  And even though it may be Summer & warm when you're heading over, don't waste a bunch of space packing tons of summer-y clothes.  You won't use them more than a month, and it won't be warm enough yet in the spring time to wear them.

ACESSORIES:
*Jewelry - cover the basics first.  Simple stud earrings, & a pair of hoops or 2.  Simple necklaces and bracelets that will go with everything.  Your favorite watch.  Once you've got those covered, start adding in the extras as space allows.  If you have a different pair of earrings or watch for every outfit... good luck! try and narrow it down to the most versatile  pieces.
*Purses/Handbags - Bring a couple of your favorites, but leave the rest behind.  Take the biggest one as your carry on so it doesn't take up suitcase space.  Bring some sort of satchel/crossbody bag, as it will be perfect for traveling around & sightseeing.
*Scarves - I don't think there's a day all winter that I didn't wear a scarf.  They're lifesavers in the bitter cold, and a cute accessory to the perfect outfit.  I have probably 12 here, some that I bought here & some that I brought from home.  As with everything else, just go for versatile- what will go with the most stuff?
*Mittens/Gloves & Hats - In the bitter cold of winter, mittens were not optional!  Bring a couple pairs.  Same goes for hats, though I'm not a big hat person.  I usually just used my hood on my North Face to keep my head warm but my hair in somewhat decent shape!  I also brought a couple casual hats as outfit accessories and a baseball cap or two for when I run outside in the sun.
*Belts - Bring a couple of your most versatile (starting to notice the trend yet...? :) )

SHOES:
*Sneakers - one or 2 pairs for working out, walking around, etc.
*Flats - one or 2 pairs.  They're perfect for fall and for walking around, and you'll be excited to pull them out again in the Spring (if it gets warm enough before you leave!)
*Dressy - one pair, 2 max.  You'll probably only be needing them a couple times, don't waste the space in your suitcase (and don't say I didn't warn you!)  Make sure they're ones that can be worn in Summer and in Winter.
*Boots - aside from my actual winter boots, I lived in them.  I have a few pairs of flats and some that are higher.  But let me tell you... with all of the ice & snow, the flats have moved to the front of the closet.
*Winter Boots - I LIVED in my Ugg Adirondack boots this Winter.  They were so perfect for walking around in the snow and ice (as I've mentioned before, they don't do a great job cleaning off the sidewalks & roads)  and were so warm and comfy.  If you think you'll make it all winter without a pair of (cute) winter boots, I suggest you think again :)
*Summer-y - one or two pairs of your favorite summer sandals will do.  They're small enough to fit easily in your bags, but won't get used past the first month or two (at the most). 

HEALTH & BEAUTY:
*Medicines - I made a kit of the basics - cough & cold medicine, ibuprofen/tylenol, airborne, vitamins, benadryl.  Take them out of the boxes if you can so they fit easier.  If and when you get sick, have a headache, etc. you'll be glad you have something to take that is familiar and that you can read the label of! 
*Cosmetics - I decided to bring 1 or 2 of everything so I had enough to get me through the first bit and get a sense of what I could find around here.  The department stores have most major cosmetic brands - MAC, Clinique, Dior, Chanel, Clarins.... etc.  as well as the smaller drugstore brands like Maybellene, Cover Girl, etc.  I personally use Bare Minerals, which is, of course, like the one brand that isn't big around here.  You can find it, but it's really expensive (a regular size foundation powder is 56 euros compared to $25 at home!)  so I ended up having my mom send me some more in a package mid-season. 
*Hair Products -Same as the cosmetics.  Bring enough to last you a month or two, and after that you should be able to find what you're looking for.
*Hair Styling - As far as hair dryers, straightening irons, curling irons, etc. go, in my opinion, your best best is to invest in some European tools.  If you're going to be spending more than one season over here, it's definitely worth it, and you won't risk ruining your stuff from home.  If you insist on bringing your stuff from home, you will need a special converter (if it's not dual-voltage) so make sure you get the right one (I believe it's a 2000 watt converter, but don't quote me on that) but keep in mind that it won't work the same.  My fancy schmancy straightener from home would only heat to one temperature (Fry!) and blow dryer only had about 1/2 the power as it does at home.  Not to mention I've heard stories of sparks flying out of them and stuff....  Save yourself the trouble, packing space, and fried hair... invest in some inexpensive but decent styling tools over here.  (one thing I should note though... I have had an impossible time trying to find a regular old curling iron in Finland.  I plan to buy a new dual voltage one at home this summer to use in both places.  In the meantime, I use my straightening iron to curl :) )

The general rule of thumb I use for this stuff is that if it's a European-produced product (Kerastase/L'Oreal, Chanel etc), it will be cheaper here (or the same price)... if it's a USA produced product (Clinique, Bare Minerals, Redken, etc) it's better to stock up on at home.

The key is to be flexible.  If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, there will most likely be something similar.  If there is a product or two that you know you cannot live without, bring a little more of that and a little less of something else.

MISC. GOODIES:
There are tons of gadgets and things that will make your life in Europe easier & more enjoyable.  Bring or invest in what you can, or what you think will be the most important to you.  I'm sure many of you already know about a lot of these things, but every now and then I run into someone who has never heard of something & really wished they would have known, so bear with me! 

*Computer/iPod/iPad etc. - self explanatory
*Digital Picture Frame - the perfect way to have lots of pictures of family and friends with you without actually hauling them all around.  One simple frame and you've got them all right there with you in your new home!
*DVD's - we brought some DVD's with us and are lucky to have a DVD player that will play them, but from what I understand not all DVD players over here will play American discs, so pack them at your own risk.  You may be better off sticking with the Sling Box (below) and renting/buying movies on iTunes.
*Skype - no brainer.  Video chat with family & friends back home.  Skype to skype calls are free, or you can call landlines or cell phones for a really low cost.  You can even set it up so that you have a North American phone number for family and friends to call you guys from their cell phones or landlines without long distance fees. 
*Amazon Kindle - I'm a person who likes to have a book in my hand, but the Kindle is very logical in this lifestyle.  You can download pretty much any book in the palm of your hand.  A selection of books in English vary depending on country/city (some have none)  and packing a bunch of books in your suitcase takes up extra space that could be used for something else (like another handbag!)
*Camera - another obvious one.  We just invested in a good SLR.  A decent camera is a must have when you're traveling the world!  You'll have wonderful pictures of all of the places you have been, plus family & friends will probably be wanting lots of updates and to see what life is like in Europe!
*Sling Box - Your tv channels from home... on your screen in Europe!  You'll be able to watch every single show just as you would at home.  You connect it to your cable box & internet in North America, and can log in online to watch your home tv from anywhere in the world.  Get the adapter to plug your computer into the television & it will be just like you're on your couch in North America.  Don't worry about the time difference - you can still DVR and everything just as you would at home!  You can also watch on iPads, smart phones, etc. when you're on the go. Here's the website to find out more about it (*note: those of you who have lived over here are aware that most American shows are blocked from watching online over here... so if you were planning on foregoing the Sling Box and just watching online, unfortunately you won't have much luck)
*Google Talk - most of the same features as Skype, but I found that I can use it to call phones in the U.S. for FREE.  I also use it on my Android phone to text friends and stuff.
*Face Time - similar to Skype and Google Talk, but for Mac/Apple users.  I don't know much about it because we haven't made the switch to Mac yet (will be this summer though!) and have Android/Blackberry phones, not iPhones.  But, from what I understand... it only works Apple to Apple.
*Phone apps - Kik messenger uses your data plan to text anyone, anywhere in the world (they must download it also, it may only work with Androids & iPhones, not sure).  Skype Mobile works similarly, but you can call also.  Google Talk can be used to text, too.  TuneIn Radio lets you listen to any radio station in the world on your phone.  Google Translate comes in handy when you're out and about (think: grocery store!).
*GPS - If you don't have some sort of GPS program on your phone over here, getting an inexpensive European GPS might be a good idea.  Navigating the streets of a foreign country are hard enough with the road signs, manual cars & different rules of the road... you'll find your way around much easier & be more comfortable driving here if you have something to give you directions along the way.  Wait and get it over here though... it will most likely be cheaper than the ones with European maps at home.

I'm sure there are tons more gadgets I could add to the list... but these are the main ones in my mind.  If you have another favorite, please share! 



So, that's my take on packing for a move to Europe.  Surely everyone is different and might prioritize different things, so take or leave whatever you'd like :)  Hopefully it's not too intimidating or confusing.  Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help in any way I can!  If you have any tips to add to the list, or a list of your own to share, please leave a comment and share your ideas! :) 

(I will also be posting this information in my "Moving to Europe?" tab at the top of the page for easy access) :)

3 comments:

  1. I think you def hit EVERY thing!! haha :) Wow! that was awesome :) If i was moving to Sweden right now, i'd def use that... too bad i'm already here ;) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post CMD!! I will most definitley print this out and use it as a guide when it comes time to move next season. THANK YOU for taking the time to write all of this out...YOU ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured, if I can help even ONE person out, then it's worth it! I tried to think of everything I knew and WISH I had known... hope it helps! :)

    ReplyDelete