1.14.2011

that's it.

...I'm going to the spa.  I need some severe de-stressing and relaxation.  I've been in a terrible funk for over a week now and can't seem to shake it. 


I was hesitant to make any sort of blog posts about my little self-pity party, in fear that friends, family, and anyone else reading would think that I had gone off the deep end and put me in a psych ward.  But if it's any consolation, over the past couple weeks, I have found that I'm not alone.  Fellow hockey wife bloggers KY , Hockey Wife and Life of a Hockey Widow have recently blogged about similar feelings.  KY has dubbed it "hockey season-al depression", and it is just that. 

It's January.  It's cold.  It's dark.  The new-ness of the hockey season and excitement of being in a new place is totally gone.  It's the second half of the season, yet the off-season seems so far away.   The holidays have come and gone.  It's been almost 5 months since I've seen friends or family back home.  The day-to-day struggles of living in a foreign country, though a little easier now, are still very present and real.  (this is where I could go on and on forever... but I'll spare us both)

I think know J has come scar-ily close to booking me on the next flight home the past few days.  I haven't been able to shake things, even with all of his love and support.  I've realized this is something that no one is going to be able to fix but me

As a friend (and fellow hockey wife in Europe)'s facebook status said today: 

"We may not be able to control events, but we can control our attitude toward them."

It is so right.  I need an attitude adjustment. 

So today I called J while he was on the bus to an away game.  Short and sweet, "I'm going to the spa.  I need a massage.  I love you, I'm sorry.  Bye"

Time to shift the negativity into positivity.  What better way to start than with a trip to the spa, follwed by a girls night while the guys are gone?  Ahhhhh, I can feel the stress shedding from my body already....

8 comments:

  1. hahahaha.... wow, i think all of us hockey wives must be on the same boat.... i justttt posted about this too... i went and got a massage on wednesday and it was wonderful.. hope yours perks you up.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that this 'bug' is spreading around like wildfire these January days. Enjoy your time at the spa, I am jealous :) Happy Friday, and thanks so much for to Zoolander reference. I feel like I say this line about 10 times a day living over here, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sound like a lovely weekend...and much deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you needed the time at the spa and the girls night, hope you're feeling better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girls Nights (and a couple glasses of wine haha)always do the trick!!! Just remember the season is more than halfway done and you'll be back in the states before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just telling KY that I think her 'hockey season-al' depression is contagious!

    "We may not be able to control events, but we can control our attitude toward them."

    I needed to hear this today. More than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the love ladies! Spa, wine and girls night has done the trick (at least for now, fingers crossed!)

    HW, yes, I think if our lives had to be summed up in one quote, that would be the one. Hope it helped you like it did me :)

    and Texa, the Zoolander quote cracks me up every time because I find myself saying it ALL the time. Definitely quote #2 that sums up our lives!

    ReplyDelete