12.11.2010

ask and you shall receive

Wow, is it December 11th already!?  Where does the time go.  Feels like just yesterday I was saying "wow, I can't belive it's December already", and now it's more than 1/3 over.  Good because its closer to being done with these silly road trips, bad because the holidays are my favorite time of year and I hate to see them come and go so quickly :( 

I woke up to more snow this morning.  I don't know where we're going to put it all... literally!  They are removing it from the city by the truck load, but seemingly not fast enough.  The roads are poorly plowed and many of the sidewalks too.  I feel really bad for all of the elderly people and people on crutches or disabled that I see trying to get around.  I think it's difficult for me- I can't even imagine having to deal with that all winter.  Oh, and they don't use salt or sand or anything either.  If/when they do use something, it's little rock pebbles.  Unfortunately, I think this is about their extent of "snow clean-up" here, taking care of it initally and leaving you to fend the rest for yourself.  Maybe I'll have to hook Maddie up to a sled and use that to get around ;)

All of my whining about wanting a girls night finally paid off.  Last night a couple of us got together at one of the other wives house.  It was a nice, relaxing evening with a couple friends and some wine.  Just what the doctor ordered :)  Ask, and you shall recieve!

During our girls night we got into some discussion about the differences between the U.S. and Finland (and other countries/cultures) and why certain things are done certain ways in different places, etc.  It makes me feel so lucky to have this experience of living in a different culture and learning about it.  It also makes me proud to be able to teach others about our culture and what it is like to be an American.  Now, I'm not one to get all into politics (though this conversation was not just on a political level) I pride myself in being very accepting of others and new cultures.  It's not always easy for me being here, far away from home, family and friends, and on top of that not having all of the stuff that is so familiar to me.  However, I think I have adjusted to the differences very well and have been educating myself and learning from others about what life is like in Finland. 

All of the girls from the team that I have talked with are very accepting of our American culture as well... (though I think the hockey world is fairly cultured, seeing as many of us spend time living in different countries) and though they most likely prefer their country to mine, I'm just happy that they make the effort to try and understand some of the differences, and though it is not the way they may do or see things, they don't see it as wrong- just different.  Not everyone that I have come across in Finland is able to see the differences the way that my fellow hockey wives do.  However, I think a lot of it has to do with being uneducated.  Obviously there are lots of stereotypes out there, so I am glad that I am able to do my (small) part to help clear up any confusion.  Finnish people are very proud, which I can understand.  They have a nice country that is very beautiful, rich in tradtion, and from what I've learned so far, runs fairly smoothly (though it's a little easier when you're a cold country of only 5 million somewhat isolated in the north  ;) )  I don't agree with everything that they do here in Finland, and I don't agree with all of the ways we do things in the U.S. (political and otherwise). But, I am an American, and I'm proud of it.  If you're going to challenge me about my country, I am going to defend it :)

I also took some time yesterday to check out the Christmas market downtown.  It is lined with red cottage/huts and lots of wonderful hand made items and gifts.  There is everything from mittens to jewelry to candles to clocks and home decor and beyond.  I got a pair of really pretty hand made earrings.  I plan on bringing J back Sunday or Tuesday when he has some free time... maybe I can give him some hints to help him with his Christmas shopping... ;)  Here are a couple pictures that I took:



The guys will be home after their game tonight, yay!  That's the one nice thing about these trips... it makes it that much more fun when we do have a chance to be together.  We get excited to see each other and spend time with one another :)

No comments:

Post a Comment